The literacy group programs are designed for children who may benefit from extra support with reading, spelling and writing skills.
We use teaching principles from multiple evidence-based programs including 'Visualising & Verbalising' for reading comprehension, 'Sounds-Write' for phonics and 'Talk 4 Writing' to help children practice writing skills in a fun and meaningful way.
The groups will be divided into two age groups --- 5-7 year olds and 8-11 year olds
The groups will be held over three consecutive days on the Wednesday 7th, Thursday 8th and Friday 9th April 2021
The groups will run from 10.30am - 12.00pm on each of these days (4.5 hours in total).
Literacy Group Goals
- Increased confidence with reading, spelling and writing
- Improved awareness of the sound to letter correspondences expected for age
- Stronger blending, segmenting and phoneme manipulation skills
- Awareness of strategies that can be used during reading comprehension tasks
- For the older age groups - a stronger understanding of different text types and the different 'toolkits' that can be used to enhance writing